Friday, September 21, 2012

Some Spanish Suerte

The past few days have brought me a little bit of Spanish suerte, por fin. I went to see the apartment that Isabel had recommended to me and I loved it and signed. I live with three people, two guys, one from Portugal (Pedro) and one from the state of Alicante (Angel), the girl is from Galicia. I live close to the Plaza Roja, in downtown. The location is great, I have stores right by the flat and bars and coffee shops all around. Last night I went with the guys to a jazz bar, decorated with photos of the Bronx, Obama and MLK, to listen to Andrea (she sings in a jazz band and is absolutely wonderful). I have a good feeling about this place, if I can make it at four nights here then it will be the longest I've lived in a place since I arrived (I don't anticipate problems). Hopefully this link works and you can see where my apartment is in Santiago de Compostela (use the street view to see my street) Location of flat
Yesterday I went to my school to meet some of the teachers, but en route Isabel and I had some bad luck.
Isabel was driving me to school on a country road and some old man was on his scooter looking at his watch and swerving. She stopped, about 50 feet from where we saw him (stick shift so it stops on a dime), she honked honked honked, nothing. He ran right into the car, flipped on the hood. Like a movie. The old man was obviously in shock, I had no idea what to do. Some local guy came out and called the cops and an ambulance, the ambulance took forever. Meanwhile the guy's daughter showed up, I guess she was going to visit her dad and see how he was doing. She saw his scooter in the road and starting yelling at him for being riding the scooter when he knows he can´t be driving anymore. He was planning on going to Santiago, about 20 minutes on a highway, on his scooter. Long story short we had to go to the police department and give a testimony and arrived 2 hours late to school. What a pain, and what are the chances. I have now had a variety of unlucky experiences in Spain, but my goodness they make for good stories.

Igrexa (the old church in Rois)

Once we arrived at the school all was well, I met the teachers and some of the students. I am so excited to start work and feel so lucky that I have been assigned to this school. It is in the middle of nowhere. I will have to take a bus to a different town and from there get a ride to the school from a teacher. But the area is beautiful.

Rois (a block from Main Street, across from the church)
 
Main Street (there are few cafes and a pharmacy as well)
 
View from the school (no picture of the school yet, there were kids playing out front and I wasn't sure if it was ok to take a picture, most likely it's fine because hey, this is Spain)
 
Tonight is the inauguration party of our flat and we doing it in typical Mexican style, fajitas and tequila. I am looking forward to my year in Spain and getting to know Santiago better.
 
My new address is:
Tiffany Hippe
Santiago de Compostela
A Coruña 15701
España
 
And there is still more than enough room for visitors here, our new couch folds out into a bed. 
Besos.

No comments:

Post a Comment