Saturday, September 29, 2012

Ode to la siesta, kittens and cañas

This past week has been full of rainy days that have invoked the need to not play outside a lot. That's right, I have done nothing too thrilling since the last update (hence the lack of updates). The rainy days have, however, inspired me to master the art of siestas. And trust me, I've mastered it.  I have caught up on all the sleep I lost during the first couple of weeks in Spain, and have stocked up on a little extra, just to be safe. This Monday I begin my job and will be siesta-less most days of the week, not all good things can last forever...at the same time some good things come in small packages.


Meet Toxo (toe-show), the newest and cutest addition to out flat. Andrea has always wanted a kitten and Angel, Pedro and I are used to having pets, so she adopted this little ball of adorable. Toxo arrived earlier this week and has been getting a little more feisty each day. I am convinced he is the smartest kitten on this side of the Atlantic, he understands four languages after-all. We are all loving the heck out of this fella.
Friday evening I went out to explore SC with Angel. We began at Parque Alameda to enjoy views it has to offer of the cathedral and to dar un paseo, the park has so many beautiful views and offers access to all areas of the city. So far I haven't found a place I enjoy more, though the Praza do Obradoiro is giving the park a run for its money. Here is link to the history of the park, it's fascinating, and the link is a quick read. Go ahead, give it a click, then you may scroll.

 
View from park (I know I've shared a similar photo, but this one is on a cloudy day, very different)

Getting fresh with a famous dead Galician (validated, remember this is Friday night)

Angel took a different approach to bonding

Oak tree walkway 

Looking out from the park, opposite direction of the cathedral

After the park walk, Angel and I went to the cathedral to see what it was like inside. To be perfectly honest, it was a disappointment. The true beauty of the building is truly the outside. We do plan to attend a service at the cathedral one day to see the botafumeiro, the famous thurible of Santiago de Compostela (though it is only done on special days of the year, so we have to wait awhile). Housed inside the cathedral are the Codex Calixtinus. We were able to see the Codex, and I must admit that there is nothing as powerful as a really old book. It was fascinating to see the documentation of the history of the pilgrims, from an era that is so far past it is a history forgotten in and of itself.

Wikipedia has better photos, I bet they were allowed to use flash

A traditional peregrino 

Following our visit to the cathedral, Angel and I felt inspired to partake in an act that is just as Spanish as old catholic churches and coffee breaks. It was time for a caña. I may also take a moment to mention this is one of the best things Spain has to offer. A light beer, served in a wine style glass, with a small dish of melt-in-your-mouth olives. This particular caña break took place in the Praza do Obradoiro, in the shadow of the cathedral. 

Best view in town.
 
After our caña break we went to one more park and arrived just in time to see a breath taking view of the sunset. From on top of an old above ground, stacked cemetery (we assume this is what it was, but there were no clear signs) we watched the sun set over our new city. I am loving SC, and so excited to start my new job in a couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment