Friday, February 1, 2013

Still Raining

This past week and a half I have gone to support a friend at her concerts', three to be precise. Giorgia is in a band of students that are mainly here doing study abroad, and they played one night in A Estrada (a small town near here) and the next two in Santiago. I had so much fun watching them play, it's clear that this band really just has fun playing together. Here are some video clips from their concerts, sorry for the poor quality, I hope that you can hear them!

Cover of "We Are Young" by FUN

Giorgia singing "I Want To Hold Your Hand"

I went shopping with friends on the last day of Rebajas, the sales that go on during the month January, and finally got some new clothes. After five months of wearing the clothes that I brought from the States....they were looking a little raggy. Even without sales, clothes tend to be much cheaper in Spain, so it was quite the success. 

Warmest spot in the flat...for the one hour the radiator is on :(

Becca and I admiring the British and American flags displayed at the bar


Giuly and Francesca


Me, Becca, Giorgia

On the work/academic side of things, yes I still go to work, two of the students from CPI dos Dices will be going to the United States to study next year. They both applied for a scholarship to be able to go abroad for the year, and they both got it. This week an article was written for the Galician newspaper, La Voz de Galicia, highlighting their accomplishment. They expressed their excitement and gratitude for this opportunity, and I know that they are both going to do great. This is the article, it's in Galician, but give it a look (it's a fun language to be learning!)

Dúas alumnas de Rois estudarán o próximo curso en Estados Unidos

 

Not all of my students are so driven. I have been having quite the time with them in classes. One student wanted me to teach him how to say polvo (dust, but when used with the verb echar, throw, it means to screw). He and his classmates were insistent that it was of the utmost importance that they learned how to say phrases like this, because if they go to my country and go out with friends, how are they going to pick up people?? I said "Don't worry about that, you can't go out until you're 21 in my country, that gives you six years to study and improve your English". Sometimes they can be quite the stinks, but I adore them nonetheless. 
These are some photos from a local park, I love the style of the trees in Galicia.

 Parque de Vista Alegre
 Rainy days...no longer a surprise. Nor a treat.

 Beautiful greenery, a result of the rain, and palm trees, in the same place as pine trees.

Mossy trees.

 A picture to reflect the weather, crummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment