Saturday, November 10, 2012

Paychecks=Freedom, so does Obama.

I am now two months into my stay in Spain (the amount that remain is up in the air) and I am finally starting to get the ball rolling on life. *a word of caution, the Spanish rub off on you quickly and it's hard to shake the laid back attitude* It helped that I was finally paid by the program, and now I can start to plan trips, a feat that is easier said than done. I am also thrilled to be planning to be a tour guide for Kim in just over a month. Kim, one of my best friends (the first friend I made in Star), is coming to spend Christmas with me, and I get to show her Galicia. The pressure's on, and I'm counting the days until I get to see her again!
This week I had my first negative experience in the classroom, and I had to lay down the law. I am used to the students not being as well behaved as the students in the USA, but on Thursday they pushed it too far. In the seventh grade class I was with half the students, reviewing for an exam, something they desperately needed to do. There are four students that just do not care to learn English, and that in no way bothers me; however the incessant need to talk and throw things and not sit in their chairs did bother me. I calmly explained to them that I understand English is not everyone's favorite, but that regardless there was still going to be a test and if they wanted to pass it was in their best interest to pay attention. This worked for about two minutes, then they started again. For the first time I lectured in Spanish, explaining (in the most professional way possible) that I don't really give a crap if they ignore me, as long as do it quietly and while sitting in their own chairs, está entendido, chicos? They were so taken aback by that they actually shut up, win. But then when two students, who really do try to learn, but struggle immensely with the subject, made a mistake, the whole class laughed at them and called them stupid. Cue lecture number two, a little louder than lecture number one and much more harsh. In Spanish (because I wanted nothing lost in translation) I snapped that I, being the best at speaking English in the whole school, am the only one with the right to laugh at mistakes. If I am not laughing, you should not be either. I do not want to hear you call another peer stupid, apologize and let's continue. The four troublemakers lost the right to be with me and instead have to stay in the main class doing grammar exercises that they hate until they learn to be nice. I knew it was only a matter of time for something like to happen, and it would have been much easier to handle if I was the actual teacher, but I am just the assistant and so I have to follow the rules of the teachers (but I am lucky enough that they support me in whatever decision I make in regards to discipline).
I have also received many congratulations from the Spanish this week on the re-election of President Obama, something I receive with great pride. Good work America. I also started private lessons with two more families. On Monday I went to Ana's house and spoke with two of her children for an hour. They are absolutely adorable, and her daughter told me she has always wanted to try peanut butter, because it's in all the movies. This week we will be making PBJs. Friday I began with the neighbor's of Roi and Iria (my normal Friday classes), the family has two little boys, five and seven (Anton and Roi), and they were so excited to play. Anton was very confused as to why I was speaking English, and Roi was embarrassed that he forgot so much English this summer (adorable). I had so much fun with them!
Last night I got to Skype with my daddy and Tonka and Zar. My three favorite men. From 5000 miles away the dogs listened to my commands (my dad, not so much).

It does not get much cuter than this.

Today the sun came out for a few hours and Angel and I took advantage of it and went for a walk. The old town is so charming, the stereotypical European town with cobblestone streets and stone buildings. And after a rain shower it is nothing short of charming.

 
Casco viejo 


No cars on these streets

Praza da Inmaculado
 
 Praza da Inmaculado
 
 Rainbow (if you look closely)
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment