Monday, March 26, 2012

Madrid, friends and a trip

Hola! This past week has been a tumultuous one. I spent much of the week aimlessly wandering around my town during the day, and then staying home with the kids in the evening. Up until Friday, the greatest accomplishment I could lay claim to in my new life abroad was a new found love and appreciation for Ernest Hemingway. While reading The Sun Also Rises, a novel set between Paris and Spain, I realized I needed to go to Madrid. Now this may seem like common sense, after all the city is only 60km from my own, but I had not found the desire to do so during my first 11 days here. However, I awoke on Friday the 23rd and hopped on the bus with Narcisa, the housekeeper who lives in Madrid. After getting off the bus I was hastily rushed onto the Metro, told to get off at Sol, and then left on my own with only one piece of advice. Que no te pierdas (Hope you don't get lost). Helpful, I am well aware. Equipped with my map and an excess of nerves I embarked on a four hour journey around the city of Madrid, the third largest city in the European Union. Contrary to my expectations, I fell in love. I am not sure whether this is the fault of Hemingway's charming novel, or a power that the city itself holds I will never know. I also do not particularly care. I spent my time just walking up and down and around the centro, and finally wound up in Plaza Mayor, a sunny plaza filled with cafes, people and some of the most creative beggars. (I will snap some shots of them next time!)
The streets of Madrid are all similar to this shot, with the facades of the buildings all intricately and uniquely designed. I managed somehow to not get lost in the city, the streets all seem to lead to plazas and Metro stops that make it surprisingly easy to navigate. To congratulate myself for a job well done, I bought a little premio (reward). My efforts earned me an Argentinian empenada filled with dulce de leche, a treat I consumed with gusto on the bus ride home, completely ignoring cultural protocol that seems to prohibit eating outside of the home or restaurant. I pled ignorance to the nasty looks shot my way, and there were plenty as I had picked one the messiest postres possible.
Saturday I spent the morning with the kids, we made the daily trip to the panderia to buy the baguette that is consumed each day by the family. In the evening I was invited to Madrid to make dinner. This was my first outing since the coffee date with friends (it was the same two girls). I met Indigo on the bus and we continued on to Emily's apartment in Madrid where we made mushroom tacos. I had not realized how much I missed being able to cook a meal for myself until we made this meal. It was a relief to get out of the house and interact with people my age. Not to jinx it, but I believe I now have two friends outside of the house. Indigo even invited me on a trip with her during La Semana Santa.  To explain how easy traveling is within Europe (an act I believe the European Union has put great effort in to try and maintain a strong economy), the invite was given in the same tone and intonation as an invite to dinner would be in the US. Indigo said "I'm going to Italy for Semana Santa, if you're free you should join." I said I would check my schedule and get back to her. Really, no big deal, it's just a week in Italy. Esther approved the time off (which is wonderful because I most certainly did not supply her with a written request at least two weeks in advance). Although this is a completely normal thing to do, it's actually expected that I do this, I am still not accustomed to this change of lifestyle. That being said...
I AM GOING TO ITALY! Es normal, no? I will be in Pisa, Florence and Rome (hoping for a day trip to Naples, a town of 1,600 pizzerias, a side trip I would consider sinful to not attempt). In case you are not green yet, I will be in Rome for Easter. Perhaps the Pope will accept an invite to hunt for eggs with me?
<3

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck finding your Easter basket there, you thought we hid them hard!!! I imagine the Pope has a few more hiding places!!! That is going to be such a great cultural experience, truly a once in a lifetime. How old are you? Is it right that you have been to more countries than your mother? I think not.... Oh yea at your age I was busy being a responsible married women, okay I guess I was just as lucky;) Love you

    ReplyDelete